Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Swiss Beef Casserole

This recipe comes from my favorite cookbook called the Swiss Cookbook by Nika Hazelton. Here is the original recipe~

Beef Casserole
1 1/2 to 2 lbs chuck, round or
pot-roast meat
salt
pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, minced
1 medium carrot, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup dry red wine
hot water or hot consommé

Trim the meat of all fat and cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces the thickness of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Brown the meat over high heat for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the meat to a casserole and sprinkle it with the flour. Pour off the fat from the skillet. Heat the butter in the skillet in which the meat was browned. Cook the onion, carrot and parsley until the onion is soft. Add enough hot water or consommé to barely cover the meat. Cook, covered, in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Place the meat on a hot platter and keep hot. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve or puree in a blender. If it is too think, reduce to the consistency of heavy cream. Put the meat back in the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through. Serve from the casserole with plain boiled rice or mashed potatoes.

My notes~
Consommé is similar to broth and I used homemade chicken broth when I made it. Plus, I didn't use the butter asked for, because I left some of the fat on the meat and then sauteed the vegetables in it, after removing the meat from the pan. I also was in a hurry, so since I didn't puree the sauce it was a little runny, but it was still yummy! I also liked the texture of the vegetable pieces, but I bet pureed would still be wonderful!

The best part ~ My husband and kids loved it! And it wasn't hard to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as us!

0 kindly responding: